Header Ads

Importance of Bird House Placement

I can remember building the first bird house when I was a kid, and I hang it excitedly on the side of a tree in the backyard. For months afterward, I was looking at the bird's house, but there were no birds in it. I bought this house as a collection, so I was sure it was the right dimensions and the hole was the right size. Needless to say, I was very disappointed and feel confused because there are no birds living in the house.

Looking at the tree where the bird house was built, I could see the bird's nest far away in the tree, in the branch of one of its branches. Why does the bird make a nest at the top of the tree instead of the house of birds covered with a roof over their heads? Well, now that I'm older and wiser, I know my mistakes.

First, the nest that I was looking at in that tree was the nest of the cup. Birds that build nest nests are not raised in a nest-like nest (such as a bird's house). Second, my bird house was set at the eye level. That is, the eye level of a small child, about four feet from the ground. Most birds will not live in a very low nest. Thirdly, it was near a gate that led into and out of the backyard, and my friends and I came from that gate a lot every day, so the strange birds tend to get away from that area. Fourthly, this was a tree next to our house, with a narrow space, maybe six feet, between them. The bird house faced our house. This gave the birds a lot of clear trip path to their home.

So here's what I learned:

1. Build a bird house suitable for the type of bird you want to attract.

2. The bird house must be in a low-traffic area.

3. Keep the path clear to the home.

While I had achieved greater success after following some general guidelines to place the bird house and avoid the pitfalls mentioned above, I probably did not receive any tenants from the feathers. As I learned, each type of bird has specific criteria that must be met by the bird house, including determining the proper place for the house, if it is to choose a breeding species for its young.

My first mistake, therefore, was not to know the type of bird that was home for it. It is possible that the birds designed by the house did not inhabit the area! Assuming I knew the kinds of birds for which I was home, I had to do some research to determine the best place for the house. Maybe I found that I did not have any suitable sites to place the bird house, or perhaps found a more attractive location for the birds.

Learn from my mistakes. Do your homework, and although there is absolutely no guarantee that the bird family will place their home in the bird house, you can greatly increase the likelihood.

No comments